Whether you call it hor fun, ho fun, hor fan or ho fan, it’s the same wide rice noodles. The most well-known way of cooking it is with beef. I took a detour from the beloved beef hor fun and substituted clams for the beef. Clams hor fun is good. Different flavors, different mouth feel, different textures but just as good.
If you can get shucked clams, frozen or canned, you can cook this dish in under ten minutes. If you have to start with fresh clams, you’ll need to soak them for several hours to expel sand, parboil or steam them to make the shells open and then carefully remove the clam meat from the shells.
This clams hor fun recipe assumes that your clams have been shucked and ready to go into the wok.
Start by sauteeing scallions and garlic until aromatic.
Add the shucked clams and season lightly.
Add whatever sauces you want to use. In traditional beef hor fun, only soy sauce is added. But beef and clams taste different and I figured that clams would benefit from the addition of oyster sauce. And just a tiny bit of hoisin sauce too.
When the clams are heated through, the noodles are thrown in.
Everything is stir fried together.
Then, the final touch — chili oil.
Oh, my goodness… I thought I knew so much about Asian noodles. But after finishing my bowl of clams hor fun, I realized that there are so many avenues that I haven’t explored yet. Perhaps, next time, it’ll be mussels hor fun. For now, though, the recipe for this lovely noodle dish.
Clams Hor Fun
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shucked clams
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- hor fun noodles for two blanched and drained
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- drizzle sesame seed oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying fan. Saute (medium heat, of course) the scallions and garlic until fragrant.
- Turn up the heat. Add the shucked clams. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Stir fry just until heated through.
- Pour in the soy sauce, hoisin sauce and oyster sauce.Toss.
- Add the noodles. Stir fry just until the noodles are heated through.
- Off the heat, drizzle in the chili oil and sesame seed oil. Toss a few more times before serving the clams hor fun. Garnish with more sliced scallions.