First, you have to have the spinach puree cooked in coconut milk. The rest is just basic cooking. Simple with such a delightful outcome — a rich soup in more ways than one. Rich in color, rich in flavor and rich in texture. It’s such a versatile soup too because you can change the combination of vegetables each time you make it.
I topped my soup with shaved parmesan cheese. Because I love cheese. And because I’m of that school that believes cheese can make 99% of all dishes better. If you’re vegan, just omit the cheese and the soup is transformed from lacto-vegetarian to vegan.
Chunky Spinach SoupPrint Pin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- pinch minced garlic
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup cooked beans whatever variety
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels canned is okay
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup spinach puree and coconut milk paste
- chopped parsley
- shaved Parmesan unless you’re vegan
- Heat the cooking oil in a thick-bottomed pot. Sweat the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the carrot, beans and corn.
- Pour in the broth. Add salt and pepper, as needed, depending on how well seasoned the broth is. Just remember that the spinach paste that you will be adding later is also salted so go easy on the seasonings at this point.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, set the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini.
- Stir in the spinach paste.
- Simmer the soup for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Off the heat, stir in some chopped parsley.
- Top with shaved cheese (optional but recommended) and serve.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.