Last Tuesday, I cooked a huge pot of spaghetti for Sam to bring back to the condo. Because she had her birthday, her friends were requesting that she bring homemade spaghetti and I obliged. I made more meat sauce than was needed for the amount of pasta I cooked and, today, I reheated that meat sauce and made sandwiches.
It would have been simpler to just spread the chunky sauce on sliced bread, top it with shredded cheese and broil or grill everything. You know, pizza bread style — probably the most common way of using excess pizza sauce. But I thought I’d take the extra step, throw in a salad and make the sandwich a complete meal instead of a snack. And I did just that, and Speedy and I had these sandwiches for brunch.
Any pasta meat sauce can be used for making sandwiches like these. But it has to be a chunky sauce — chunky with very little liquid except for the oil because if the sauce is soupy, the liquid will just soak the salad and bread, make everything soggy and messy, and your sandwich will be an epic failure. In short, please don’t bother asking if meat sauce that comes out of a can or a sachet will work. If you don’t have a tried-and-tested meat sauce recipe, you can check out the meat sauce I use for making lasagna.
Chunky Meat Sauce SandwichPrint Pin
- 2 small baguettes (or about 2/3 of a large one)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (any variety)
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 1 piece canned pimiento (NOT 1 can; just 1 piece), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- salt to taste
- shredded cheese (any kind so long as it can be shredded), as much as you like
- Make the salad.
- Place the lettuce, onion and pimiento in a bowl, add the mayo and some salt and pepper. Mix just until everything is moistened.
- Split the baguettes (or portion of a baguette) and scoop out the soft white bread inside. Reserve the scooped out bread for something else — it’s good for binding meat loaf or making biftekia.
- Lightly toast the split bread on both sides — a stovetop grill is great but a frying pan will do the job too.
- Spread the inside of the bottom halves with your favorite spread (I used my herbed cream cheese and butter spread).
- Fill the bottom halves of the bread with salad.
- Spoon the chunky meat sauce over the salad.
- Pile on the shredded cheese.
- Cover with the top halves of the bread and serve the chunky meat sauce sandwiches.