Chocolate and mangoes make an unusual pair but in this chocolate and mango tart, they go together like hand in glove. The filling is rich, velvety and chewy after a little bit of chilling. The bright yellow balls of mango provide a wonderful contrast to the boring and monotonous chocolate brown. The lightly salted flaky crust adds a surprising twist in texture and gives a good balance to the sweetness of the filling and the mangoes.
The recipe that inspired this had pears instead of mangoes. The pears were cooked in water, sugar and rum before they were arranged on top of the gateau-like chocolate tart filling. My kids don’t like the smell nor taste of alcohol in their dessert. And I don’t like pears. Hence, substitution and modification were in order. Mangoes, instead of pears. And no alcohol.
Chocolate and mango tartPrint Pin
For the crust
- 1/4 cup butter well chilled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons iced water
For the filling
- 2 eggs
- 375 grams good quality eating chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 to 4 sweet ripe mangoes flesh scooped into small balls
Make the crust
- Place the chilled butter in a mixing bowl and cut into small pieces. Add the flour and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add a little iced water just until the mixture comes together. Lightly beat one egg, mix with the crumbs to form into a ball. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of wax paper until about 1/8 inch thick. Peel off the top sheet and lift the rolled crust by holding the edges of the other sheet of wax paper. Carefully invert into a ten-inch loose-bottomed pan. Cut off the edges. Prick the sides and bottom with a fork. Lay a clean sheet of wax paper over the crust and weigh it down with dry beans. Bake blind in a 180<sup>o</sup>C oven for about 15 minutes.
Prepare the chocolate filling
- While the crust bakes, melt the chocolate and the butter over simmering water in a double boiler. Remove from the heat. Stir in the flour and baking powder. Add the remaining egg and mix until blended.
Assemble the tart
- Pour the chocolate filling into the prepared crust. Arrange the mango balls on top. Bake in a 180<sup>o</sup>C oven for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool then chill for at least an hour before cutting and serving.