Cooked nasi goreng style, this chili mushroom fried rice is seasoned with kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), regular soy sauce, tamarind paste, plenty of chopped chilies and garlic.
Yes, it’s spicier and darker than Chinese-style fried rice. When your main dish, fried fish steaks in my case, is simply flavored, fried rice with bolder flavors go so well with it. They won’t clash. Neither will upstage the other.
Like most stir fried dishes, the prep time for this chili mushroom fried rice is twice as long as the cooking time.
Start by stir frying the vegetables and mushrooms with a bit of salt and pepper. Remember, layering flavors is important. So, season during every stage of the cooking.
When the vegetables and mushrooms are half-cooked, add the chopped chilies and garlic. Continue stir frying until the vegetables and mushrooms are done but not mushy.
Throw in the rice. Stir fry until heated through.
Pour in the kecap manis, soy sauce and tamarind paste, and stir fry for another minute to allow the flavors to blend.
The chili mushroom fried rice is cooked in less than five minutes because there is no meat which would have lengthened the cooking time.
A vegetarian can eat this fried rice as a stand alone dish or pair it with another meatless dish.
Chili Mushroom Fried RicePrint Pin
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 4 shiitake mushrooms chopped (caps only)
- 12 green beans cut into 1/2 inch rings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoon bird's eye chilies finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice (see notes after the recipe)
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- Heat the sesame seed oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Stir fry the bell pepper, shiitake and green beans with the salt and pepper for about a minute.
- Add the chilies and garlic. Stir fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add the rice. Stir fry until heated through.
- Pour in the kecap manis, soy sauce and tamarind paste. Stir fry for another minute to blend the flavors.
- Taste the rice. If you prefer it to be or sweeter saltier, add more kecap manis or soy sauce, respectively.
- Serve the chili mushroom fried rice immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.