Alex cooked these chili-battered French fries with batter flavored with paprika, chili and garlic powder.
Batter? Like pancake batter? Similar but not the same. There is no egg in this batter. Instead, there are spices.
But what’s the batter for? Cooked French fries can be tossed in spices with no need for batter. The oil that coats the potato sticks ensures that the ground spices will stick to them. So, why the batter?
If you like your French fries to be extra-crispy, try coating each stick of potato with batter before frying. The batter adds a different texture that’s beyond crispy. It adds a crunch that you can actually hear as you bite into a piece of potato.
For best results, read the post about cooking French fries. Everything is in there including the oil-potato ratio, the temperature of the cooking oil and how to maintain the high temperature of the cooking oil during frying.
The amount of the ingredients is not specified below for two reasons:
1. The volume of potatoes after cutting determines how much of the rest of the ingredients you will need.
2. It’s a matter of taste. Some people like heat more than others. Adjust the proportion of spices to suit your preference. So, yes, that means taste the batter before dumping the potatoes in it.
Chili-battered French FriesPrint Pin
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- cooking oil for deep frying
- Scrub the potatoes and rinse well. Cut into sticks about half an inch thick.
- Make the batter by mixing flour and water. Don't make too much. You want just enough to coat the potatoes. The consistency should be similar to pancake batter. Stir in the salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and garlic powder. Taste and make adjustments to suit your preference.
- Add the potatoes to the batter and mix to coat each piece.
- Heat the cooking oil.
- Dump the battered potatoes into the hot oil. You will need to stir them around at the start to separate them. Fry until the batter is crisp and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve the chili-battered French fries immediately.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.