I am not so sure if we’re going out to dinner tonight to celebrate Sam’s birthday. If we are, we really shouldn’t stuff ourselves too much so late in the afternoon. So, I made this soup instead of a full (late) lunch. Served with buttered bread, it is filling enough for a mid-afternoon meal but light enough to be fully digested by dinner time. It’s also vegetarian. Today is a holiday, the girls are home and vegetarian Sam, the soup lover, will like this.
How is the broth vegetarian? You can use vegetable broth made by simmering a medley of vegetables (carrots, celery, onions and leeks are my favorites) then straining. Or, if your vegetarian requirements do not preclude broth made from animals, I recommend dashi. Sam is okay with dashi; technically, she’s more on a meatless diet than on a strict vegetarian regime.
Does it have to be Himalayan black salt? For this recipe, yes. I started seasoning the soup with sea salt but it tasted flat. It was only after adding a generous amount of Himalayan black salt that the flavor and the aroma came alive.
Chickpea, potato and chayote soup with black Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 cup finely sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 cups bone broth
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas (I used canned)
- 1 and 1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 and 1/2 cups cubed chayote
- Himalayan black salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- lime slices to garnish
- fried shallots to garnish
- mint to garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat, covered and with occasional stirring, until lightly browned. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the broth. Throw in the chickpeas, potato and chayote cubes. Season with Himalayan black salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are done. Taste the broth. Adjust the seasonings, if needed.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with slices of lime, finely sliced mint leaves and fried shallots.