The filling is not traditional chicken teriyaki which is grilled. The filling for these chicken teriyaki wraps is chicken braised in teriyaki sauce. Shredded vegetables are tossed with the remnants of the sauce in the pan to soak up the flavors. A generous mound of vegetables are arranged on a warmed tortilla, the chicken strips are piled on top, the tortilla is rolled and the chicken teriyaki wraps are ready to eat.
Why tortillas? Why not ordinary sliced bread? Sure, chicken teriyaki goes well with toasted bread and I have a recipe for that too. It’s delicious with lightly fried mushrooms, raw vegetables and honey-mustard sauce.
But we love tortillas more than ordinary sliced bread. And if you’re a fan of tortilla, you’d know that a lot of things can go into it aside from traditional Mexican filling. Tortilla is a bread, after all, flat and unflavored and neutral enough to accommodate a wide range of filling. Chicken teriyaki and vegetables are great with tortilla wrapped around them.
Start by marinating the chicken strips then cooking them in the marinade.
In the same pan where the chicken cooked, throw in the vegetables.
Let the vegetables absorb all the flavors left in the pan.
With both the chicken and vegetables done, it’s all a matter of assembly.
Chicken Teriyaki WrapsPrint Pin
- boneless breast of one chicken or 3 boneless thighs
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2/3 cup inely sliced cabbage
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and julienned
- 1 small carrot peeled and julienned
- 6 flour tortillas
- Cut the chicken meat into strips. Place in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar and ginger, if using. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan. Add the chicken with the marinade and cook over high heat until almost dry.
- Lift out the chicken pieces and transfer to a plate.
- With the heat set to low, add the cabbage, carrot and cucumber to the little sauce sticking to the pan.
- Toss to coat the vegetables pieces well. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Warm the tortillas in a dry pan.
- Lay a warmed tortilla flat. Add a heap of vegetables. Top with chicken strips. Roll. Repeat until all the tortillas are filled.
- Serve the chicken teriyaki wraps as soon as they are assembled.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.