Say chicken sandwich and the first thing that comes to mind is chicken salad sandwich, the filling being the ubiquitous shredded chicken breast meat with mayonnaise. But the term chicken sandwich can mean so much more. Why not chicken teriyaki sandwich?
In this recipe, the centerpiece of the sandwich is the filling of chicken teriyaki and pan fried mushrooms. Dispensing with the usual mayo base, honey-mustard sauce was spread on the bottom bread slice before the sandwich was assembled.
This recipe presupposes that you have already cooked your chicken teriyaki and pan fried mushrooms. You can boil the teriyaki marinade until thickened and spoon a teaspoonful or so on the chicken before topping with mushrooms.
Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich
- cooked chicken teriyaki (I used 4 thigh fillets)
- 4 to 6 button mushrooms thinly sliced then pan-fried in a little vegetable oil until lightly browned, then seasoned lightly with salt and pepper
- 5 lettuce leaves (I used romaine), shredded
- 2 red onions thinly sliced into rings
- 2 to 4 tablespoons honey-mustard sauce
- 4 slices bread grilled or toasted
- Slice the chicken teriyaki into thin strips.
- Take a slice of bread and spread about a tablespoonful of honey-mustard sauce over the entire surface.
- Cover the bread with shredded lettuce.
- Arrange the chicken teriyaki strips on top of the lettuce.
- Pile on the mushrooms slices on top of the chicken.
- Top the mushrooms with onion rings.
- Cover with another slice of bread.
- Repeat to make another sandwich.
- Slice the sandwiches into triangles (or not) and serve.