The new cooking range has finally been delivered. Except for some alterations in the kitchen cabinets (not enough space for my stuff), we’re almost fully operational. There’s been a whirl of cooking and baking during the past few days and I would have been posting recipes on a daily basis had it not been for internet connection troubles. The troubles are all in the past now. Our broadband service has been installed and food blogging is back on normal mode. Plus, the launching of the breakfast blog will commence in a few hours. The templates need a few more tweaks then the links from this blog will be installed.
Now, the recipe for the chicken and vegetable dish that you see in the photo above. That’s what went into the kids’ school lunch boxes yesterday. What was left became our lunch. What’s in it? Strips of chicken thigh fillets, cubed squash and zucchini. With spices and herbs too, naturally.
Chicken, squash and zucchini sauté
- 500 grams chicken thigh fillets cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide
- 400 grams squash
- 2 medium-sized zucchinis
- half a head of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2 plump tomatoes
- sprig of fresh oregano
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil more if you’re not using a non-stick pan
- In a bowl, sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Crush, peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Peel and finely slice the onion.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Cut off the skin of the squash, scrape off the seeds and cut into one-inch cubes. Cut the zucchinis into one-inch cubes as well. There is no need to peel the zucchinis not to scrape off the seeds.
- Pick the leaves of the oregano; discard the stalk.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan. Fry the chicken strips over high heat until the edges start to brown. Add the garlic, onion, tomatoes and oregano. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables turn soft. This will give the cooked dish a thickish sauce instead of something soupy.
- Add the cubed squash. Stir well. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the squash is almost done, about 10 minutes. Stir once in a while.
- Add the zucchini cubes and basil leaves. Cover once more and simmer for another five minutes, stirring a few times.
- Serve hot.