Still not cooking with herbs? It’s time to discover them. Chicken fillets are not as tasty as the cuts with bones but, with the right seasonings and herbs, and proper cooking, they can be wonderful.
The best way to really get the chicken fillets to absorb the flavors of the herbs and seasonings is to allow them to marinate overnight. Don’t have time? An hour will be okay. Less than an hour will still be okay if you pound your chicken fillets until they are no more than a quarter of an inch thick.
Marinate the chicken in a mixture of seasonings and herbs, and while cooking the rice, fry the chicken. Ergo, they cook at the same time and you get got rice and crisp fried chicken at the same time.
- 6 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- herbed salt (I used a mixture of thyme, rosemary and parsley)
- 4 tbsps. of flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- a cup to a cup and a half of panko
- 6 tbsps. of olive oil
- 2 tbsps. of butter
For the paella-style rice:
- Place the chicken fillets between sheets of cling wrap and pound with a mallet until about a quarter of an inch thick.
- Season the fillets with herbed salt. Leave to marinate.
CookMeasure the rice. Heat the butter in a small pan. Add the chopped onions and cook gently for about seven minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the roasted bell peppers and peas. Cook for about a minute.
- Put the rice, broth and paellero in the rice cooker. Add the sautéed vegetables with all the liquid. Stir. Turn on the rice cooker and cook the rice as though you were cooking it with water.
- While the rice cooks, start frying the chicken fillets.
- Put the flour, beaten egg and panko into shallow bowls.
- Dredge each fillet in flour, shaking off the excess. Dip in the beaten egg then coat with panko. Repeat until all the fillets are prepared.
- Heat 3 tbsps. of olive oil in a non-stick pan (without the oil, the bread crumbs won’t turn out crisp).
- Arrange three prepared fillets on the pan and cook over medium to medium-high heat for about three minutes on one side. Flip the fillet over, add a tbsp. of butter and cook for another two minutes on the other side.
- Wipe the pan clean then repeat the process for the remaining three fillets.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6