Chicken Picadillo Soup
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 shallots - peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes - diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 chicken thigh fillets - skin on, cut into half-inch cubes (see notes after the recipe)
- patis (fish sauce)
- ground pepper
- 1 medium carrot - peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- 1 medium chayote - peeled, cored and cut into half-inch cubes
- 1 large potato - peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- 4 to 6 cups chicken bone broth - (see notes after the recipe)
- cilantro - to garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot.
- Saute the shallots, garlic and tomatoes until softened.
- Add the chicken and bay leaf.
- Pour in a tablespoon of patis and a quarter teaspoon of ground pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, until the chicken is no longer pink and the mixture is starting to turn dry.
- Add the carrot, chayote and potato cubes.
- Pour in the chicken bone broth and bring to the boil.
- Taste and add more patis and ground pepper, as needed.
- Cover the pot, lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are done, about 15 minutes.
- Taste the broth one last time and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Serve the chicken picadillo soup garnished with cilantro.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.