Chunks of chicken fillets, bacon, macaroni and colorful veggies were mixed with condensed mushroom soup to make this chicken macaroni casserole. It’s thick, rich and ultra creamy. And it cooks in 30 minutes flat. Scoop and serve with buttered toast for a quick dinner.
Or, if you really want to turn this simple casserole into a party crowd pleaser, pour the casserole into a baking dish, smother the top with shredded cheese, pop into the oven and bake just until the cheese melts and is lightly browned.
You need only one cooking pan for this recipe. You brown the chicken in it.
You saute the vegetables with the chicken in it.
You simmer the undercooked pasta with the chicken and vegetables in it. Add the mushroom soup at the end of the cooking to make a thick sauce.
Chicken Macaroni Casserole
- 1 cup macaroni
- 4 large chicken thigh fillets each cut into 6 to 8 pieces (skin on or skinless, your choice)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 50 grams bacon (about 3 to 4 rashers)
- 1 carrot cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup rozen peas
- 1 can condensed mushroom soup
- Sprinkle the chicken with a little salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water for five minutes (yes, you’re undercooking it!) then drain.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the bacon and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the chicken. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the carrot cubes, diced bell peppers and onion. Cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Pour in about half a cup of water.
- Add the peas. Stir. Bring to the boil, lower the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for about ten minutes or until the liquid is reduced to half.
- After the liquid has reduced, taste the broth. Add more salt and pepper, if needed. Add the undercooked pasta. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is almost dry.
- Add the condensed mushroom soup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the soup turns to liquid. Boil gently for another minute then turn off the heat. The sauce will thicken as the mixture cools. It’s the perfect time to prepare some buttered toast.
- Toast done, serve your chicken, bacon and macaroni casserole. Ladle into shallow bowls, place some buttered toast on the side, serve and have a ball.