If the noodles are tossed in hot oil before the cooked meat and vegetables are added, you have a chow mein. If they aren’t, you have a lo mein. This, then, is a lo mein. Colorful, healthy and so easy to prepare. The combination of light soy sauce with lemon juice gives this Oriental noodle dish just the right balance in flavor. Chicken skin adds moisture and flavor to the dish but if you prefer a low-fat version of this dish, use skinless chicken breast fillets.
As with any quick stir-fried dish, the cooking time is short and the cooking temperature is very high. It is best to have all the ingredients ready and arranged in an assembly line before you start cooking.
- 200 grams dried egg noodles
- 300 grams chicken thighs (or breast) fillets, cut into half-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup scallions (onion leaves), thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup white cabbage shredded
- 3/4 cup snow peas trimmed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- a drizzle of sesame seed oil
Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the chicken. Cook over high heat, stirring, until no longer pink. Pour in the fish sauce. Add the pepper and sugar. Stir. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is quite dry and the chicken is almost cooked through, about five minutes.
Add the scallions, garlic and ginger. Continue cooking for about a minute. Add the cabbage and carrot slices. Stir fry just until the cabbage start to soften a bit about two minutes.
Add the snow peas. Continue stir frying for another 30 seconds.
Add the drained noodles. Alternately stir and toss, still over high heat, until the noodles are heated through.
Turn off the heat. Pour in the lemon-soy sauce. Stir a few times. Drizzle the sesame seed oil. Stir a couple of times more. Serve hot.