Boiled chicken gizzards are stir fried with spices then tossed with fried saba bananas. Inspired by the Nigerian dish called gizdodo, this chicken gizzards and saba banana stir fry is a fast and delicious dish to prepare on busy days and nights.
Of course you have to make this dish with pre-cooked gizzards. You need to simmer them before you start stir frying. Otherwise, the gizzards will be tough as hell. With the gizzards already cooked to tenderness, the rest of the steps happen fast and the dish can be cooked in 12 minutes.
Peel the saba bananas, cut into one-inch cubes then fry in plenty of hot oil until lightly browned.
The gizzards are sauteed with chopped onion.
Two generous pinches of thyme and a generous pinch of turmeric are added.
For a nice bite, a generous amount of cayenne go in too.
With the gizzards now beautifully flavored and colored, the bell peppers are added.
When the bell peppers are done and the seasonings have blended together, toss in the fried saba bananas.
And that’s it! Your chicken gizzards and saba banana stir fry is ready to be devoured.
Based on a recipe from Nigerian Food TV.
Chicken Gizzards and Saba Banana Stir FryPrint Pin
- 300 grams chicken gizzards simmered in salted water until tender
- cooking oil
- 6 saba bananas peeled and cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 pinches dried thyme
- 1 generous pinch turmeric powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder depending on how hot you want the dish
- 2 to 3 bell peppers diced
- salt to taste
- If your chicken gizzards are large, cut each one into bite-size pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of two inches.
- Fry the cubed saba bananas until nicely browned on the edges. Scoop out and set aside.
- Pour off the oil leaving only about a tablespoonful. Reheat.
- Over medium heat, saute the gizzards and chopped onion until the gizzards are lightly browned and the onion pieces are translucent.
- Add the thyme, turmeric and cayenne. Saute for another half a minute.
- Turn up the heat. Add the bell peppers and stir fry just until done, about one minute. Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Add the fried saba bananas to the gizzards and stir fry just until heated through.
- Serve the chicken gizzards and saba banana stir fry immediately.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.