Butterflied chicken is browned in butter, braised in white wine with herbs then smothered with a creamy sauce infused with the flavors of pearl onions, fresh mushrooms and the reduced liquid in which the chicken had cooked. This one-skillet chicken in creamy white wine sauce can be the main dish for a romantic dinner for two or the centerpiece of a family meal.
Only one skillet is needed to cook the dish? Sure! Check out the photos below.
This chicken in creamy white wine sauce was browned and braised in the same wok. Even the sauce was cooked in the wok. You can use a frying pan or any wide shallow pan.
Chicken in Creamy White Wine SaucePrint Pin
- 1 whole whole chicken about a kilogram in weight, butterflied and rubbed liberally with salt and pepper
- 4 to 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or twice as much if using fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or twice as much if using fresh)
- 2 generous pinches salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 12 pearl onions peeled
- 12 to 18 mushrooms cut into halves if large
- 3/4 cup cream
- fresh flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a pan. Place the chicken in the hot butter, skin side down. If you have a small heavy pan (like a small cast iron frying pan) to weigh down the chicken to flatten it, use it so that the skin browns evenly. Otherwise, just make sure that the chicken has been butterflied well so that it lies as flat as it possibly can. When the skin is nicely browned, flip the chicken and brown the other side.
- Pour in the wine. Allow to boil gently, uncovered, for about five minutes.
- Sprinkle in the rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour in about 3/4 c. of water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. THERE IS NO NEED TO FLIP THE CHICKEN.
- When the chicken is done and the cooking liquid has considerably reduced, scoop out the chicken, transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- To the remaining liquid in the pan, add the pearl onions and mushrooms. Cook for about ten minutes. Pour in the cream. Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper, as needed. When the sauce starts to bubble, turn off the heat.
- Spoon the pearl onions and mushrooms around the chicken. Spoon the sauce over the chicken to create a small pool around it. If there is extra sauce, serve on the side. Sprinkle in the chopped parsley and serve.
Serve the chicken in creamy white wine sauce with crusty bread or rice, and pair with a good white wine and you have a superb meal.