This chicken in citrusy red wine sauce is a result of a missing bottle of white wine.
It is traditional to cook chicken in white wine but, one time, I couldn’t locate the bottle of white wine. I searched and searched, but… nothing. So, throwing tradition to the wind, I grabbed the unopened bottle of semi-sweet red wine and cooked the chicken with it. The result was surprisingly great as the red wine gave the chicken and the sauce a deeper color that white wine would not have achieved.
And, as an inspired afterthought, I garnished my chicken stew with gremolata, a condiment made with parsley, garlic and lemon zest often associated with osso buso. The gremolata really finished off the chicken stew wonderfully.
Chicken in Citrusy Red Wine SaucePrint Pin
- 5 chicken leg quarters seasoned generously with salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1/8 cup dried rosemary (twice as much if using fresh)
- juice of one orange
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup semi-sweet red wine
- 1 large can chick peas (garbanzos), drained
For the gremolata:
- 4 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest finely chopped
- generous pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Brown the chicken in batches (no need to cook them through at this point) then arrange in a baking dish.
- In the remaining butter, add the chopped onion and rosemary. Cook for a minute. Pour in the orange and lemon juices, then the red wine. Boil, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced by half. This is your sauce.
- Pour the sauce, with the onion and rosemary, over the chicken, making sure that every piece of chicken is topped with onion and rosemary.
- Add the chick peas to the chicken, distributing them as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle everything lightly (remember, the chicken legs are already seasoned) with salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes.
- About five minutes before the chicken is done, mix together all the ingredients for the gremolata.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and peel off the foil. Sprinkle the gremolata over the chicken leg quarters and serve at once.