To add even more color and contrast, I threw in a few slices of (canned) peaches too. If I had more time, I’d have chosen fresh mangoes instead.
The chicken component consisted of about half a dozen pieces of fried chicken fillets cooked Chinese style — coated with starch and deep fried.
The black-eyed beans can be substituted with any kind of beans. Butter beans, pinto beans or kidney beans will work just fine.
Inspired by The Recipe Critic’s Thai cashew chopped salad with a ginger peanut sauce.
Chicken Cabbage Salad With Peanut DressingPrint Pin
- 1/4 cup smooth (unsweetened) peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- fish sauce to taste
- 1 chicken thigh fillet
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- cooking oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Romaine lettuce
- 1 small red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons black-eyed beans tossed with a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashew nuts
- sliced peaches (or mangoes), as many as you like
- Make the peanut dressing. Stir together the peanut butter, grated ginger, rice vinegar and honey. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is pourable but still thick. Mix in enough fish sauce to create the right balance.
- With the knife held at a 45-degree angle, cut the chicken fillet into six slices about a quarter of an inch thick. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Pour in the rice wine. Mix. Add the corn starch and mix again.
- Heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of one inch. Fry the chicken slices until browned and crisp, about two minutes per side. Drain and set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, toss together the red cabbage, Romaine lettuce, bell pepper, beans, nuts and peaches. Add the chicken and toss again.
- Pile the salad in a bowl. Drizzle the peanut dressing on top.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Enjoy the chicken cabbage salad with peanut dressing!