Chicken Bistek Rice Bowl
- 8 chicken thigh fillets - skin on
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil - divided
- 4 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons liquid seasoning - we prefer Knorr liquid seasoning
- 2 tablespoons kalamansi juice
- 1 large onion - peeled and cut into thin rings
- sliced scallions - to garnish (optional but recommended)
- fried shallots - to garnish (optional but recommended)
- Wipe the chicken fillets dry with paper towels.
- In a wide frying pan, pour in a tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat the entire bottom.
- Heat the oil and, when hot, arrange the chicken thigh fillets, skin side down, in a single layer.
- Cook the chicken for two to three minutes or until the skins are lightly browned.
- Flip the chicken over and allow the opposite sides to brown lightly for about a minute.
- Sprinkle the garlic over the chicken.
- Pour in the soy sauce and liquid seasoning.
- Cover the pan, set the heat to low and braise the chicken for ten minutes (see notes after the recipe) or until done and the sauce has reduced to half.
- Drizzle the kalamansi juice on the chicken and cook for another minute.
- Taste and adjust the amount of soy sauce or kalamansi juice, or both, if needed.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a bowl.
- Wipe the pan, pour in the remaining tablespoon of oil and heat.
- Throw the onion rings into the oil and cook for about two minutes, stirring often, just until softened.
- To serve, ladle rice in four bowls, arrange to chicken thigh fillets over the rice in each bowl (see notes after the recipe), drizzle sauce over them, top with onion slices and, optionally, scallions and fried shallots.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.