Premature chicken eggs? Yes, eggs that have yet to form shells which are still inside the hen. They are sold together with gizzards, livers and egg sacs.
If you look closely at the photo, the egg sacs are on the foreground, the premature eggs are at the center, the gizzards and livers are in the background. That’s a 12-inch dinner plate holding a kilo of eggs, sacs, gizzards and livers.
Chicken arroz caldo with premature chicken eggsPrint Pin
For the chicken and broth
- 1/2 kilogram stewing chicken
- 1/2 kilogram chicken liver gizzard and premature eggs
- 1 whole garlic
- 1 whole whole onion
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
To cook the congee
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley OR 1 tablespoon chopped onion leaves
- 4 to 6 kalamansi native lemon
- fried garlic
- Wash the chicken and remove all visible fat. Separate the eggs, liver and gizzard. Cut liver into 2" x 2" cubes. Place eggs and liver in the refrigerator. Clean and remove all visible fat from the gizzards.
- Place the chicken and gizzards in a casserole and cover with water. Add whole garlic, onion, peppercorns, bay leaf and 1 tsp. of salt. Set on the stove over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove scum as it rises. Lower the heat and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the chicken and gizzards are tender. Remove the chicken and gizzards and cool. Chop coarsely and set aside. Strain the broth.
- Wash the long-grain and glutinous rice and drain well.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large heavy casserole. Fry the garlic until toasted. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the ginger to oil and fry until golden. Add the onion and continue frying until the onion is transparent.
- Pour in the drained rice. Cook the rice in oil until the grains start to brown. Pour in the broth, a cup at a time, while stirring. Add the kasubha. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the rice grains start to crumble. Season with patis or salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped chicken meat and gizzards. Bring to a soft boil then add the eggs and liver. Simmer for 5 minutes. Do not overcook the livers. Sprinkle with toasted garlic and chopped parsley or onion leaves.
- Serve hot with kalamansi halves on the side.