An easy meal that can be served for breakfast or dinner. Butter-rich and creamy chicken and mushrooms rice bowl a la stroganoff will please adults and kids.
For breakfast? Why not? Even on busy mornings, you can cook this meal as it only takes 15 minutes to make including preparation time.
For dinner? Ah, wouldn’t you love to be able to whip up a hot and delicious dinner even on days when you come home dead tired from work or school?
The trick is perfect timing.
Rinse your rice and dump in the rice cooker. While it cooks, do the chicken and mushrooms in a frying pan on the stove top. By the time the chicken and mushrooms are cooked through and all sauced up, the rice will be ready too. And all you have to do is serve them together.
If you have fresh parsley and another half a minute to spare, chop up the parsley and sprinkle over the chicken, mushrooms and rice.
What mushrooms are best for this dish? Most kinds, actually. I used shimeji but button mushrooms will do just as well. What I don’t recommend is enoki because it is too delicate and might get overcooked and drowned in the richness of the sour cream and butter.
And the chicken?
Fillets for fast cooking. We are partial to chicken thigh fillets but if you prefer breast meat, that will do too so long as you don’t overcook it.
Chicken and Mushrooms Rice Bowl A la Stroganoff
- Place the chicken strips in a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan.
- Spread the chicken strips in the hot butter. Cook for about three minutes over medium-high heat without disturbing to allow the undersides to brown.
- Stir the chicken and cook for another three minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and peas, if using, to the chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, for about two minutes.
- Pour in the sour cream and stir. Cook just until bubbly.
- Turn off the heat. Taste the sauce. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- To serve, ladle the chicken, mushrooms and sauce over hot rice and sprinkle with chopped parsley.