Made with ground chicken meat and oyster mushrooms, and flavored with sweet soy sauce, these chicken and mushroom burgers go well with buns or rice.
If you’ve been to Tagaytay City, you must have passed by Mushroom Burger along Aguinaldo Highway. And if you’re a Tagaytay habitue like I am, you must have eaten at the place more than once. If you’re a real Mushroom Burger fan, you would probably know that there used to be a branch at the Makati Commercial Center and that there is still a branch in Quezon City.
And if you’re the kind of person who is curious about what exactly goes into a Mushroom Burger, you’d probably have read up or asked around and discovered that it is one part ground beef and one part ground oyster mushrooms.
Here is something we had recently — chicken and mushroom burgers. I kept the size small so they’d fit inside a split pan de sal.
Chicken and mushrooms burgerPrint Pin
- 500 grams ground chicken breast meat
- 200 grams oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 head garlic peeled and finely minced
- 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Kecap Manis Indonesian sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Line a shallow baking dish with non-stick baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Form into patties and arrange on the lined baking sheet.
- Cook in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the patties.
- That’s about it. I know it sounds so impossibly simple so I’ll answer the obvious questions.
Why oyster mushrooms?
Oyster mushrooms have a very delicate flavor that will not compete with the natural flavor of the meat. I suspect that is why the owner of Mushroom Burger chose oyster mushrooms.
Can the burgers be fried or grilled?
If you were using ground beef instead of ground chicken, yes, it’s possible. But the ground chicken and mushrooms mixture is not easy to form and the patties are really soft rather than firm. I doubt if they can withstand handling and turning on a grill or a frying pan.
Is Kecap Manis really essential?
No, but you’ll miss out a lot on flavor if you omit it.
Are the chicken and mushrooms burgers good with rice too?
Make that garlic fried rice, throw in a fried egg, sunny side up, serve the chicken and mushrooms burgers with them then you tell me if they’re great with rice. :)