I nicked a can from Speedy’s stock of SPAM and made this cheesy SPAM bake for brunch yesterday. What is it — a strata or a quiche? Neither, actually. A strata is assembled as layers — generally bread, milk and eggs, then cheese on top. A quiche has a crust into which the egg and milk mixture is poured.
This baked dish has no layers and no crust. What does it have?
SPAM, of course. And cubed bread.
Then a mixture of milk and cream cheese.
Bread, milk and cheese are mixed with eggs, mustard, paprika and garlic.
The SPAM cubes are stirred in.
A baking dish is buttered liberally to avoid the baked dish from sticking to the bottom and sides.
The SPAM-bread-milk mixture is poured into the buttered dish.
Cheese go on top before baking.
Thirty minutes later, the cheesy SPAM bake is ready.
Cheesy SPAM BakePrint Pin
- 6 slices white bread
- can of SPAM (I used bacon flavored SPAM)
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 250 grams cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 generous pinches of paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or whatever your favorite cheese is — I do recommend that you use a salty cheese, however)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cut the bread and SPAM into half-inch cubes.
- Place the milk and cream cheese in a bowl. Heat on HIGH in the microwave for a minute and a half. Beat lightly to bread up the cream cheese.
- Place the bread in a large bowl. Pour in the cream cheese and milk mixture. Add the eggs, mustard, paprika and garlic. Stir to combine. Add the SPAM cubes. Stir.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a baking dish (mine is 13" x 9").
- Pour in the bread and SPAM mixture. Smoothen the surface to spread evenly.
- Spread the grated cheese over the entire surface.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until slightly risen, fluffy and the top is nicely browned with toasted spots.
- Rest for about five minutes before cutting into squares or rectangles.
- Serve the cheesy SPAM bake warm.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.