Belly bacon is chopped and cooked until crispy and, in the rendered fat, the corn and eggs are stirred in. Fried shallots and sliced scallions are added and grated cheese is sprinkled in before serving. The cheesy scrambled eggs with crispy bacon and sweet corn is piled on toasted bread and served. Lovely, lovely way to start the day.
Yes, we had this for breakfast. A rare treat. Breakfast is not my favorite meal of the day so whenever I am asked what my favorite breakfast is, I have a difficult time answering. The truth is, I rarely eat breakfast. It’s unusual to see me up before noon because I do my writing at night. So, unless we agree to define breakfast as the first meal of the day irrespective of whether it was eaten before noon or not, then, I’d have to say that my favorite breakfast is coffee. Two cups of coffee.
But, on those rare occasions when I am up hours and hours before noon, what do I like my first meal of the day to be? Not pancakes, definitely, although Sam loves Belgian waffles and Alex loves pancakes and French toast. But if it were just me having breakfast, I’d choose eggs. I love eggs.
One time a little over four years ago, I was up earlier than usual. I started cooking lunch but the meat would need hours to simmer so I thought I’d make breakfast for Speedy and myself while we waited for what was surely going to be a late lunch. I checked the freezer and the fridge and decided to use whatever bits and pieces there were left. There was a little bacon, an ear of corn and eggs. And scallions. I used them all.
This breakfast dish begins with bacon. Chopped belly bacon is cooked until browned and crisp, corn is added and cooked until heated through, then beaten eggs are poured in.
Fried shallots which add a smoky sweetness are thrown in and everything is stirred together until the eggs are barely set and softly curdled.
Snipped scallions are added and stirred in.
If you like wet scrambled eggs, stir in the scallions off the heat.
If, like Speedy, you don’t find wet scrambled eggs too appealing, stir in the scallions and cook the eggs until firm.
Cheesy Scrambled Eggs With Crispy Bacon and Sweet CornPrint Pin
- Heat a frying pan and add the chopped bacon. Over medium-high heat, cook until the bacon bits are nicely browned, and fat has been rendered and coats the bottom of the pan.
- Add the corn to the bacon; cook until the corn is heated through.
- Turn down the heat to low. Pour in the egg-milk mixture. Cook slowly, stirring, until partially set.
- Add the fried shallots. Continue cooking, stirring all the while, until the eggs are fully set but still wet.
- Off the fire, stir in the scallions.
- Divide the scrambled eggs among the four toasted bread. Top with grated cheese and serve.