Using leftover chicken burger mix, I made these baked cheesy chicken-stuffed zucchinis.
One thing I like about zucchinis is how little preparation they require. They don’t have to be peeled, for starters. And stuffing them is a breeze because even uncooked the flesh is soft enough to scoop out with a spoon. All the zucchini needs is a flavorful filling — and topping — and about 12 minutes of baking.
Note, however, that it is a bad idea to cook zucchini for a long time. For some reason, prolonged exposure to heat makes the zucchini flesh taste bitter. So, take note of that. The actual baking time for these cheesy chicken-stuffed zucchini depends on the size of the zucchinis.
Cheesy Chicken-stuffed ZucchiniPrint Pin
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving only half an inch thick of flesh next to the skins to allow the zucchini halves to hold their shape. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Chop the scooped out zucchini flesh.
- Mix together the ground chicken, chopped onion, minced garlic, herb and chopped zucchini flesh. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into eight equal portions and fill the cavity of each zucchini half with one portion.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with grated cheese (or spread the tops with Cheez Whiz), return to the oven for about 30 seconds or just until the cheese melts.
- Serve at once.
See a vegetarian version of baked stuffed zucchini.