The potatoes are boiled, cooled and sliced. A skillet is generously smeared with butter. The sliced potatoes are arranged, slightly overlapping, along the outer edge of the skillet. An inner circle of tomato slices follow. And, finally, at the center, chopped bell pepper and onion. Salt, pepper and pieces of cold butter are sprinkled over everything and on to the stove the skillet goes. Medium heat. Just long enough to brown the bottom of the potato slices and to slightly soften the bell pepper and onion bits in the steam. Beaten eggs are poured in, just enough to bind the underside of the potatoes and, finally, a sprinkling of grated cheese and chopped parsley.
That was Sam’s lunch today. But the amount of the food was too much for one so Speedy kind of helped her finish it. Yes, carnivorous Speedy. He liked the vegetarian dish I cooked for Sam!
For best results, to prevent the potatoes from crumbling, cool before slicing.
Cheese-topped skillet potatoesPrint Pin
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 potatoes boiled in salted water and cooled
- 2 to 3 tomatoes
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 small small onion
- 1 to 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 lemon
- grated cheese as much as you like
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Rub 1 tbsp. of butter on the bottom and sides of an eight-inch skillet. Cut the rest into small pieces.
- Cut the potatoes and tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Core and seed the bell pepper. Roughy chop along with the onion.
- Arrange the potato slices around the outer edge of the skillet, the slices slightly overlapping one another.
- Make a similar inner circle with the tomato slices making sure that the center of the skillet remains unfilled.
- Fill the hollow center with the chopped bell pepper and onion.
- Sprinkle everything generously with salt and pepper.
- Dot with the remaining butter.
- Set the pan over medium heat. Cover after three minutes to create enough steam to soften the pepper and onion pieces a little. Cook for two to three minutes.
- Pour in the beaten egg or eggs. Continue cooking, uncovered, for another minute or two or until the eggs are set.
- Turn off the heat. Squeeze the lemon quarter over everything. Sprinkle the vegetables with grated cheese and chopped parsley.