What rice variety is ideal for this dish? Any kind of rice so long as it isn’t glutinous. You want the grains to be separate before the cheese is added so that when the cheese melts, the mixture will be sticky in just the right way. I used brown rice but white, red or black will do just as well.
What kind of mushrooms is good? Any, really. Ideally, fresh mushrooms sautéed in butter. But I had no fresh mushrooms so I used canned. The rice dish still turned out very tasty.
And the cheese? The recipe on which this one is based had Parmesan. I opted for a mixture of Edam and mature cheddar. Feel free to use your preferred cheese.
- In a bowl, stir together the rice and butter until the butter is melted and every grain of rice is glistening.
- Add the mushrooms and stir.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Add the 1 tbsp. of parsley and stir.
- Top with more grated cheese and snipped parsley before serving.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.