Because there’s a vegetarian in our family, there are plenty of vegetable dishes to go around. This cauliflower mushroom “fried rice” has bell pepper, carrot, scallions, cabbage and cashew nuts for color, flavor and texture.
Why is this dish called “fried rice”? Because that’s what it resembles in appearance. Cauliflower florets are either chopped or grated and that takes the place of rice. The addition of egg to the dish makes it ovo vegetarian, not vegan.
If you’re on ketogenic diet, this dish is for you too!
It starts with an egg. Beaten lightly and fried in a tablespoon of oil until set but still a bit wet. It will get cooked through during the final stage of cooking.
Next, in the trace of oil left in the wok, cook chopped cashew nuts until lightly browned.
Add another tablespoon of oil into the wok and saute sliced mushrooms until lightly browned. Add sliced scallions, chopped carrot and chopped bell pepper and continue sauteing.
Turn up the heat, dump in sliced cabbage and chopped cauliflower. Stir fry for a minute. Throw in the egg and cashew nuts, stir fry for another 15 seconds or so and you’re done!
Cauliflower Mushroom "Fried Rice"
- Chop or grate the cauliflower to small pieces about the size of rice grains.
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips less than half an inch wide.
- Chop or grate the carrot and bell pepper into pieces the same size as the cauliflower.
- Thinly slice the scallions into rings.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Lightly beat the egg.
- Heat your wok and pour in a tablespoon of oil.
- Pour the beaten egg into the hot oil and cook just until set but still wet in spots. Scoop out and move to a chopping board. Roughly chop.
- In the remaining oil in the wok, lightly brown the chopped cashew nuts. Scoop out and set aside.
- Pour the remaining oil into the wok and heat.
- Over medium heat, lightly brown the mushrooms.
- Add the scallions, carrot and bell pepper. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about half a minute.
- Turn up the heat. Drop the cauliflower and cabbage slices into the wok. Sprinkle in more salt and pepper. Stir fry for about a minute.
- Add the chopped egg and cashew nuts. Stir fry just until heated through, about 15 seconds.
- Off the heat, taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Optionally, sprinkle chopped parsley over the cauliflower mushroom “fried rice” before serving.
Want more cauliflower “fried rice” recipes?