Chopped cauliflower and broccoli were sauteed with garlic, onion and herbs in sesame seed oil. Nuts and sesame seeds were added for crunch. It’s keto diet compliant. If you’re on the keto diet but you miss your rice, substitute this cauliflower and broccoli “fried rice”.
We had this on Christmas Eve. I didn’t make a lot. Just what you see in the photo. And I didn’t cook any rice at all.
Was it good? Oh, yes. No one asked for rice. We Asian cooks have been made to believe that sesame seed oil is a finishing oil but that’s not always true. You can cook with it with such magnificent results. Flavor. Aroma. Use it sparingly though because too much can turn any dish bitter.
A manual chopper is useful to cut both the cauliflower and broccoli into uniformly-sized bits. An electric food processor will make the job even easier and faster. Be careful not to overprocess though. Give the veggies a few pulses, scrape and if the pieces are still rather large, give them a few more pulses.
In the absence of a manual chopper or food processor, you can use the large holes of a box grater.
Cauliflower and Broccoli “Fried Rice”
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 and 1/2 cups chopped raw cauliflower
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped raw broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (I used cashew)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I used equal amounts of black and white)
- Heat a wok or frying pan over medium heat. Pour in the sesame seed oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom completely.
- Add the cauliflower, broccoli, onion and thyme to the oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about three minutes.
- Drizzle in a tablespoon of water. Cover the pan and allow the vegetable to soften in the steam for three to four minutes.
- Uncover the pan. Stir in the garlic and nuts. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for another minute or two until the mixture is dry.
- Taste. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Off the heat, toss in the sesame seeds and parsley.
- Serve the cauliflower and broccoli "fried rice" while hot.