This love affair with pureed vegetable soup is getting really serious. I’ve made soup with pureed potatoes, green peas and a combination of potatoes squash and carrot, and they were all awesome. And now, this potato and carrot soup which comes with a surprising topping.
Soften chopped onion in butter, add diced carrots and potatoes, pour in broth, simmer until the vegetables are tender then puree in the blender. Season with salt and pepper before serving and you’ve got a sexy soup that is comforting and filling at the same time. If you want to make it chunky, heat scrap meat and sliced mushrooms in butter then drop into the soup before serving.
Carrot and potato soup with shiitake mushroomsPrint Pin
- 1 large white onion peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 kilogram starchy potatoes (not waxy), peeled and diced
- 1 kilogram carrots peeled and diced
- 8 cups bone broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cups chopped cooked scrap meat
- 1 cups sliced mushroom caps (I used shiitake but you can substitute other varieties)
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until soft and translucent. Add the carrots and potatoes. Pour in enough broth to cover. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender (they should break apart when pierced with a fork).
- Transfer the contents of the pan to the blender. Process until smooth. Pour the puree back into the pan. Heat. Add more broth is it is too thick for your taste. When the soup comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the topping, simply melt the butter in a pan, add the meat and mushrooms and stir around until heated. The mushrooms will take a very short time to cook; the meat, you really just want to heat.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, drop a few tablespoonfuls of the topping at the center. Sprinkle with torn parsley, if you like.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.