What can be more satisfying than tender pork wrapped in bread and garnished with a tangy salsa? Carnitas tacos with pico de gallo is a lovely snack (or meal) whether or not it’s Cinco de Mayo.
We had these carnitas tacos about a month ago. I cooked enough carnitas for three meals so we had the Mexican pulled pork with rice, with tacos and, with what was left, I cooked torta. Ahhh, carnitas — what a versatile dish you are!
Alex makes tortillas here at home. Homemade tortillas are not a requirement for enjoying carnitas tacos. You may use store bought and use them. But, there’s this little anecdote…
So, I was on Netflix one night and there was something about tacos. I can’t recall with accuracy which show it was… Somebody Feed Phil, most probably. What I recall very distinctly is the guide saying that if a taco stall uses tortillas bought elsewhere, then, it’s not a good idea to buy tacos there. Apparently, any taqueria worth its salt is capable of making the tortillas for the tacos it sells.
It’s just an aside. I’m not saying you can’t make good tacos with store-bought tortillas. You can. But it won’t be the same as tacos made with freshly rolled and grilled tortillas. There’s just this difference in mouth feel and aroma… But, anyway…
Carnitas Tacos With Pico de GalloPrint Pin
- Take a tortilla and hold it in one hand so that it forms a U.
- Take two or more heaping tablespoons of carnitas and drop into the bottom of the U-shaped tortilla.
- Top the carnitas with a heaping tablespoon of pico de gallo and, optionally, guacamole and lettuce. Drizzle with chili sauce, if you like.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and carnitas.
- Serve the carnitas tacos at once.