There are several versions of this sugar and cinnamon muffins on the web, and most say they are meant for breakfast. Well, I don’t see why enjoying them has to be confined to a certain time of the day. We had these muffins with coffee just before the sun went down and I think we’ll be having them for dessert later. Oh, yes, they’re sweet enough for dessert but not too cloying for breakfast or a snack. They’re bursting with texture, soft bread with crystalline crust, and full of earthy aromas from the nutmeg and the cinnamon.
These muffins are very easy to make. It takes only one bowl and a wire whisk to mix the batter so you don’t have to wash a lot of utensils after baking. They bake in 12 to 20 minutes depending on the size of your muffin pans. After that, it’s just a matter of dipping them in melted butter and rolling them in cinnamon sugar.
A note before going into the recipe. Muffins are not cupcakes. They are essentially a quick bread than cake. The batter has to be mixed lightly and quickly. Overmixing makes tough and dense muffins.
Breakfast sugar and cinnamon (a.k.a. French toast) muffinsPrint Pin
For the crust
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup sugar mixed with 3/4 tsp. of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly brush the holes of your muffin pans with vegetable oil. I used two pans with a capacity of 2 and 1/8 oz. per hole.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, milk and melted butter. Stir just until moistened. Twelve strokes should do it. Yes, I counted. The batter will be lumpy. That’s how it should be.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the holes of the muffin pans with the batter.
- Bake at 350F for 12 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the holes of the muffin pans.
- The muffins will look pale when they come out of the pan. If you did the batter right, they should be very well risen. Cool for about five minutes.
- If you oiled the holes of the muffin pans, you can just lift out the muffins without any problem.
- Dip each muffin in the melted butter. The top AND sides for maximum deliciousness.
- Then roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- And you have your delicious sugar and cinnamon muffins.