After almost nine months, I’ve started baking again. Both ovens were out of commission during all that time and I wasn’t exactly in a hurry to get them fixed because switching one on turned the entire ground floor of the house into a huge oven, and… Well, Amihan (the cool northeast wind) came early this year, the gas oven has been fixed and I baked breakfast muffins the other day. Per Sam’s recommendation, I combined cheese and chili, and oh my, what a great combination they made.
Cheese and chili? Sure! Haven’t you tried spiced cheese yet? There are plenty of them in the grocery. You should try one so you can experience the sensory explosion it makes inside the mouth. I don’t mean it’s super hot. Oh, no! The heat is mild, not mouth-scorching hot, and it enhances the creaminess of the cheese in an inexplicable way. That’s what makes these muffins so good. Creamy cheese, subtle heat from the chilis AND a light sweetness that brings the heat and creaminess together even more wonderfully. Add to that the surprising texture and flavor of the broccoli florets and you have one heck of a muffin. So good, you’ll want to eat more than one with your morning coffee. In fact, Sam looked disappointed that there were only six of them. She preferred twice as many.
Breakfast muffins with broccoli, mozzarella and chiliesPrint Pin
- Heat the butter in a frying pan. Saute the broccoli and chilies with the salt for about half a minute. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line six holes of a muffin pan with paper cups.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the cream and egg just until combined. Stir in the cooled broccoli with the melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened, about ten strokes. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for five minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for another five minutes.
- Best served while still hot and the cheese is soft and gooey.
More savory breakfast muffins