Crisp streusel topping on cupcakes oozing with juicy strawberries and blueberries. Enjoy your cup of coffee or tea with these strawberry and blueberry streusel cupcakes soon! It will be an unforgettable experience.
There was an old post entitled “Blueberry Streusel Cupcakes” published in January 28, 2008 that did not have a recipe. I simply linked to the strawberry streusel cake recipe and instructed anyone who cared to make the blueberry cupcake version to simply replace the strawberries with blueberries. When there was an opportunity to update the post, I jumped at it.
Alex, who currently supplies cakes to a nearby cafe, has been refining recipes to broaden her portfolio of sellable cakes, pastries and a lot of other things. When she said she was going to make blueberry streusel cupcakes, I said I could finally update the old post.
Because what she had in her pantry were dried blueberries, she said she would soak them first in rum. And she did. I suggested that she combine the rum-soaked blueberries with fresh strawberries for added moistness. These are the results.
Who needs frosting when one can enjoy cupcake topping like this?
If you want to make these strawberry and blueberry streusel cupcakes with fresh berries, forget the soaking them in rum. The rum was simply to rehydrate the dried blueberries. Fresh berries contain all the natural juices you need to make lovely moist cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/6 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup dried blueberries soaked in 1 tablespoon rum for 30 minutes
For the streusel topping
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter cut into very small cubes
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare four large cupcake liners (see notes after the recipe).
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and yolk and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour and milk in batches. Add a third of the flour first, mix; add half of the milk, mix; add the next third of the flour, mix; then the remaining milk and, finally, the rest of the flour.
- Divide the batter among the prepared cupcake liners.
- Make the streusel mixture. Using your fingertips, rub together the flour, white sugar, powdered cinnamon and cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Scatter the strawberries and blueberries on top of the batter. Fill the gaps with the streusel mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the center comes out clean.
- These strawberry and blueberry streusel cupcakes are best served warm.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.