Inspired by Delish’s apple spice bars which she discovered at Good Things Catered, my blueberry and apple squares have a lot less sugar which means it’s okay to eat more than one square after each meal today. It’s delicious with its soft chewy center and crusty exterior. My daughters preferred that it be sweeter (they do have a sweet tooth) so my end notes include the original amount of the ingredients as well as the topping that I omitted.
Blueberry and apple squaresPrint Pin
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon loosely packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple cored and diced
- 1 and 1/2 cup blueberries cup and a half
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9"x13" baking dish with baking (non-stick) paper.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In another bowl, with a wire whisk, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix to blend.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until blended. The batter will be thick and lumpy. Add the apple pieces and blueberries and fold in. Do not overmix at this point because the blueberries will bleed and make the batter bluish all over.
- Spread the batter on the lined pan, smoothing with a spatula. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting the blueberry and apple squares.