Inspired by Eton mess, a dessert with strawberries, crumbled meringue and whipped cream, this version has blueberries, whipped cream and crumbled broas (lady fingers). The thing I love most about this blueberries and cream dessert is the short preparation time. And by substituting blueberries for strawberries, there is no trimming and cutting involved.
Another great thing about this dessert is that it keeps well in the fridge overnight. Except for the topping, everything can be prepared a day ahead. That makes it perfect for entertaining.
And the bonus is that allowing it to rest in the fridge overnight enables the lady fingers to soak up the liquids. After about 12 hours, the dessert turns into something almost like ice cream.
But whether served at once or after several hours, this blueberries and cream dessert is something you’ll want to enjoy more than once. Or twice. Or thrice. Or more.
Eton Mess-inpired Blueberries and Cream Dessert
- Coarsely crumble the lady fingers by breaking them with your hands.
- Place the blueberries in a shallow bowl and sprinkle the sugar over them.
- In a chilled bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Stir in the crumbled lady fingers with light strokes so as not to break the air bubbles in the cream.
- Reserve 4 teaspoonfuls of blueberries for the topping. Add the rest (including the juices) to the cream and fold gently. Do not over mix or you’ll have a royal purple mess. What you want is for the juices to leave purple streaks all over the cream.
- Spoon the blueberries and cream into glasses. Top with the reserved blueberries. Serve at once or keep in the fridge until needed.