The bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, or BLT as it is more popularly called, is a relatively new invention. Unlike the empanada, for instance, which was being enjoyed in the Mediterranean as early as the 1500s, the BLT was unknown prior to 1900. And on its first appearance, it was merely a variation of the club sandwich. It has become a standard since.
The “traditional” BLT sandwich has five ingredients: bacon, lettuce, tomato slices, bread and mayonnaise. In this version, the mayonnaise is made tastier with the addition of cream cheese, grated garlic and chopped parsley. The fat is drastically reduced without sacrificing on flavor by using a smaller amount of bacon.
So, enjoy this Italia meets America experience. These mini open-faced sandwiches are great as an appetizer or a mid-day snack.
- 1 baguette cut diagonally into half-inch slices
- 1 large clove of garlic peeled and cut diagonally
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic grated
- 1 teaspoom parsley chopped
- lettuce (any variety although those with thinner and more pliable leaves are recommended), shredded
- 3 to 4 plump and juicy tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion peeled, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 to 3 bacon rashers fried until crisp, drained and crumbled
- Parmesan cheese grated or crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Arrange eight baguette slices on a tray. Toast eight slices of the baguette until lightly crisp.
- While the bread slices toast, mix the mayonnaise, cream cheese, grated garlic and parsley.
- Take the bread out of the oven.
- Rub the cut side of the garlic on both sides of each slice of bread. Spread one side with the mayonnaise-cream cheese mixture.
- Cover each slice of bread with shredded lettuce.
- Top with tomato slices followed by onion rings. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper (optional).
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on each toast.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the bacon.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.