The key to successful stir frying is to have all the ingredients ready before you even heat the cooking oil in the wok or frying pan. Once you begin cooking, everything happens fast and you just won’t have time to cut, slice, measure and mix the ingredients that will into the pan next. This beef and asparagus stir fry was cooked in seven minutes flat but the preparation took a few minutes longer.
This recipe supersedes an old recipe which has now been retired. That’s the thing about recipes… While a great recipe is forever, good ones can be made better. And, as your cooking skills improve, you’ll find that your approach to dishes you have cooked in the past may not be as good as you thought back then.
Beef and Asparagus Stir Fry
- 350 grams thinly sliced beef with at least 20% fat - (top round or bottom round are recommended)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil - divided
- 1 onion - thinly sliced
- 200 grams asparagus - cut into two-inch lengths
- 200 grams mushrooms - (any variety), cut into bite size pieces if large
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup boiling water
- drizzle sesame seed oil
- Cut the beef into one-inch pieces. Place in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, garlic, corn starch and sugar. Mix well.
- Heat half of the oil in a wok or frying pan until just starting to smoke. Stir fry the onion, asparagus and mushrooms for a minute with a little salt and pepper. Scoop out, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Pour the remaining oil into the wok or frying pan. When starting to smoke, dump the beef and spread on the entire bottom of the pan. Do not disturb for about a minute to allow the underside to brown. Using a wide spatula, flip the beef and brown the opposite side. Stir to break up any lumps and continue stir frying for another minute.
- Pour the boiling water into the pan. Stir briskly. The starch covering the pieces of beef will mix into the water and form a thickish sauce.
- Add the stir fried asparagus, onion and mushrooms to the beef. Stir. Allow to boil until everything is heated through. Off the heat, taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Drizzle in the sesame seed oil. Toss to blend.
- Serve the beef and asparagus stir fry at once. It's good with rice or noodles.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.