Our younger girl, Alex, loves every imaginable potato dish; her father, like Anthony Bourdain, loves all kinds of meat in tube form. I figured that the very British bangers and mash dish ought to satisfy them both.
Bangers are meat in tube form? Yes, bangers are sausages or, to be more specific, sausages that burst during high heat cooking. You can choose from a wide array of sausages — beef, pork, chicken, turkey, spicy, smoky — although I do not recommended red-tinted hotdogs that are too soft. You want tightly packed meaty sausages.
Are bangers and mash good for breakfast or is it a snack? Although considered pub grub (bar food) in Britain, bangers and mash can be an anytime of the day meal for its simplicity and comforting familiarity.
Bangers and Mash (Sausages and Mashed Potatoes With Onion Gravy)Print Pin
- Make the onion gravy. Melt 1 tbsp. of butter in a pan. Add the chopped onion and cook gently until soft and lightly browned.
- Scoop out the onion, dump into the blender and pour in the broth. Puree until the onion pieces are liquefied.
- Add another 1 tbsp. of butter to the pan. Add the flour, all at once, stirring to remove lumps. Cook gently over medium heat for about five minutes or just until the the edges start to brown. Pour in the broth (or broth and cream) in a thin stream, stirring as you pour. Pour in just enough to reach the consistency that you prefer. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes. Off the heat, stir in the remaining 2 tbsps. of butter. Keep the gravy warm.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan. Fry the sausages over extremely high heat until the skins burst.
- To assemble your bangers and mash, spread a cup of mashed potatoes on a plate. Lay the sausages on top. Spoon the peas on the side. Pour onion gravy over and around the mashed potatoes and sausages. Serve the bangers and mash at once.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.