I don’t eat peanut butter and banana sandwich but I can eat banana slices smothered with smooth peanut butter as a dessert. I can also dip my crispy turon (banana spring rolls) in toffee and peanut butter sauce. But that’s as far as I’d go with the banana and peanut butter combo. Even though I was an Elvis Presley fan (I stopped being one when he started mumbling instead of singing on stage). Peanut butter and banana between slices of bread just weirds me out too much.
Until today. My genius of a husband came up with still another fantastic way to combine bananas and peanut butter — as filling for spring rolls. My goodness, I didn’t think he’d be able to equal his turon with bacon and cheese but, heck, he did. These are marvelous. Okay, spring roll wrapper is not bread but it is made with flour and water just like bread. I suppose this is the nearest I’d get to eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
- 4 very ripe saba bananas - split vertically into halves
- 8 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil - for frying
- Arrange the banana halves on a tray, cut side up. Spread a tablespoonful or so of peanut butter on each of them.
- Place a banana half on a spring roll wrapper, peanut butter side down (Speedy says it’s to make sure that the wrapper is thickest on the part with the peanut butter as an extra insurance that the peanut butter won’t soak through the wrapper and ooze out during frying).
- Wrap the banana half (see how to wrap spring rolls). Make sure you wrap them tightly and that the wrappers are free from holes and tears. Seal them completely.
- Repeat for the rest of the banana halves.
- Heat enough cooking oil in a frying pan to reach a depth of at least two inches.
- When wisps of smoke start to float on the surface of the oil, fry the spring rolls. In batches, if your frying pan is not that large. Roll them in the hot oil for even browning.
- Drain the fried spring rolls and serve hot.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.