A delicious and colorful dish, this canned bamboo shoot stir fry has chicken gizzards, strips of sukiyaki cut beef, carrots and sweet peas.
Whenever I cooked bamboo shoots in the past, I always used fresh. The trouble is the amount of time it took to make the bamboo shoots tender.
It’s also an issue with me that fresh bamboo shoots are only available in shredded form. I have yet to find fresh whole bamboo shoots. Shredded, the ways in which the bamboo shoots can be cooked are rather limited. So, I finally decided to try canned bamboo shoots.
So much has been said about canned bamboo shoots. The “true gourmets” claim that the delicate flavor that defines bamboo shoots is lost with the canning. Truth is, except for the convenience, the shorter cooking time and the wider cooking options, I have nothing to complain about canned bamboo shoots.
Canned bamboo shoots are already cooked and tender. You just need to cut them to the desired shape and size and you’re good to go. Try this stir fried dish with chicken gizzards, strips of sukiyaki cut beef, carrots, sweet peas and diced canned bamboo shoots.
Bamboo shoots stir fryPrint Pin
- Cut each gizzard vertically into three or four strips.
- Cut the beef into strips about half an inch wide.
- Crush the garlic, shake off the skins and mince.
- Peel the onion and slice finely.
- Peel the carrot and cut into half-inch cubes. Cut the bamboo shoots into half-inch cubes as well.
- Now, make the stir fry, and remember to put into the pan the ingredient that needs longest to stay in the heat.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan or wok.
- Add the carrot cubes and chicken gizzards and cook until lightly browned around the edges. Add the beef, stirring to separate.
- Add the garlic and onion, cook for about 30 seconds. Add the sweet peas and the bamboo shoots and cook for about two minutes or until everything is heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the oyster sauce. Stir. Turn off the heat, drizzle the sesame seed oil over the stir fry, toss a few times.
- Serve the bamboo shoots stir fry at once with hot rice.