Pressed for time to make breakfast? Make this baked eggs, ham, greens and cheese for several people all at once. No need to fry or poach eggs one by one.
If you’re looking for a new way to serve eggs, this is something to try. Not that baked eggs is anything new. I’ve done something like this in the past — eggs, longganisa (native sausages), spinach and cheese — although the technique was more of a novelty rather than something I wanted to repeat often especially during the summer when turning on the oven doesn’t seem like a good idea at all.
But, one time many moons ago, I was craving for a good egg dish, I wanted something not too ordinary so I made this baked eggs dish with ham and finely sliced greens. Topped with cheese, of course. And drizzled with Sriracha before serving.
It’s very easy to make. Smear the insides of ramekins with butter, crack eggs directly into them then add chopped ham and greens.
Then, the cheese. As much as you like. You can use any cheese and greens that you prefer, actually, and whatever you choose will vary the flavor and texture of the baked dish.
You may also use bacon instead of ham but you will have to cook the bacon before putting them in the ramekins with the eggs. Baking time is short — a mere 10 minutes — and bacon won’t get cooked through in such a short time.
And there you go. Everyone’s breakfast will all get cooked at the same time and everyone can have a hot meal.
Baked eggs with ham, greens and cheesePrint Pin
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Smear the bottom and sides of two ramekins with the softened butter.
- Crack two eggs directly into each ramekin.
- Sprinkle the eggs with a bit of pepper and salt. Not too much because the ham and cheese are both salty.
- Scatter the ham, greens and cheese around the eggs.
- Drizzle the cream over the greens.
- Sprinkle the fried shallots on top.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes for runny yolks; longer if you want the yolks to be firm.
- Drizzle with Sriracha before serving.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.