Spicy with the heat balanced by a sweet glaze. These baked Cajun chicken wings were seasoned with our homemade Cajun seasoning.
The key is marinating. You need to give the chicken enough time to soak up the flavors of the spices in the Cajun seasoning mix. That means marinating them for at least six hours. Overnight will give you even better results.
And when I say marinating, I don’t just mean tossing the chicken wings with Cajun seasoning and letting them sit in the fridge. We add milk. We let the chicken wings absorb not only the flavors of the seasonings but the fat in the milk as well. That’s how to make sure that they won’t dry up during baking.
And, for crispy skin, the chicken wings were sprayed with oil before going into the oven.
Baked Cajun Chicken WingsPrint Pin
- 9 whole chicken wings
- 3 tablespoons Cajun spice mix
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- oil for spraying or brushing
For the glaze
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons butter
Marinate the chicken
- Wipe the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Cut through the joint between the wingette and drumette (see guide).
- Place the chicken in a wide bowl, sprinkle in the Cajun spice mix and toss thoroughly.
- Keeping the chicken pieces in a single layer, pour in the milk.
- Cover the bowl and put in the fridge. Midway through the marinating time, flip the chicken pieces over.
Bake the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick paper or silicone mat.
- Strain the chicken wings and wipe with paper towels.
- Spread the chicken in the prepared tray. Make sure they are at least an inch apart.
- Spray or brush the chicken with oil before baking at 425F for 25 minutes.
Glaze the chicken
- In a small sauce pan, put all the ingredients for the glaze and heat gently, stirring, until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the glaze in a large mixing bowl and cool (it should reach room temperature by the time the chicken wings are done baking).
- When the chicken wings are done, drop them into the bowl with the glaze and toss to each each piece well.
- Serve at once.