I’m not so sure whether I should say “I cooked early today” or “I cooked very late”. I made this pasta dish in time for lunch and it was done before noon. And, on weekdays, that is early because I rarely get up before noon. But considering that I stayed up all night (The Good Wife marathon) and hadn’t slept when I did my cooking, perhaps, it’s more accurate to say that I cooked late rather than early.
Whatever, really. When you write for a living, you write whenever the creative rush is there, relaxation is wherever and whenever you can fit it in, and time is really irrelevant. So, my body clock isn’t the same as yours.
But whether it’s the sun or the moon that’s up in the sky, the food has to be good. It’s the one pleasure that we indulge in everyday. One good meal a day. And this is it for today.
This bacon and vegetables pasta with cream sauce is easy to make. Brown chopped bacon in its own fat, add carrot, celery, bell pepper and onion, season, throw in the cooked pasta, stir, add cream and butter, stir and it’s done. Despite the simplicity, it’s delicious. The secret? Cream and butter, of course.
Bacon and vegetables pasta with cream saucePrint Pin
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water.
- While the pasta cooks, brown the chopped bacon in a frying pan. If the bacon is too fatty, you have the option of pouring off the excess fat before proceeding. I don't recommend pouring all the fat, however, because bacon fat has a lot of flavor.
- Add the carrot, celery, bell pepper and onion to the bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Cook just until the vegetables are done.
- Drain the pasta and add to the bacon and vegetables.
- Pour in the cream. Stir.
- Taste. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Finally, add the butter. Stir to blend it in as it melts.
- Sprinkle the pasta with parsley before serving.
Some useful links: