When you have an ingredient as flavorful as bacon, you don’t need a lot of other seasonings to make a tasty dish. Speedy surprised us with this bacon mushroom spinach dish yesterday and, according to him, there are only five ingredients in it—streaky belly bacon, fresh button mushrooms, fresh spinach, salt and pepper.
The most important part of the cooking procedure? Rendering fat from the bacon. It is in the bacon fat that the mushrooms and spinach are cooked. So choose your bacon wisely. Fatless varieties like Canadian bacon just won’t work at all.
Bacon Mushroom SpinachPrint Pin
- Cut the bacon into small pieces. Think of it as giving the bacon a rough chop.
- Slice the button mushrooms. Thick or thin, that is entirely up to you.
- Rinse the spinach thoroughly and drain. If the stalks are rather tough and woody, cut them off and discard.
- Take a heavy thick-bottomed frying pan and put it on the stove over medium heat.
- Spread the bacon on the bottom of the heated pan. Allow the bacon pieces to cook, undisturbed, until they start to render fat. Stir the bacon and continue cooking with occasional stirring until browned. Scoop out the bacon and set aside.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the bacon fat. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned. Scoop out and set aside.
- Turn up the heat to high. In the remaining bacon fat, cook the spinach with some salt and pepper. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the water it has expelled has evaporated.
- Arrange the spinach on a plate. Top with the mushrooms and bacon.
- Serve your bacon mushroom spinach as an appetizer or as a main course.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.