If the term “rice salad” makes you go HUH? click here and know that the term salad covers a wide expanse of dishes.
Today’s lunch was still part of the beef brisket challenge (or, perhaps, experiment would be the more appropriate word). Cubes of braised brisket were warmed in a pan then tossed with cooked long-grain rice, vegetables, chilies, cubes of sweet mangoes, herbs and seasonings.
The result was a cooling dish with flavors and colors as fresh as a tropical summer day. It was so inspiring that I vow to make more rice salad recipes in the future. Is it a difficult dish to prepare? Oh no! Except for the rice and the reheating of the beef, there’s really no cooking involved. So, it’s all a matter of chopping and cutting, and simple assembly, that takes no more than ten minutes.
Note that I used newly cooked rice to make this salad. The ten-minute preparation of the vegetables and mangoes was just enough time to make the rice lukewarm which, for me, was the desirable temperature before it was tossed with the rest of the ingredients.
Please don’t use rice that came out of the fridge. If using day-old rice, reheat with a sprinkling of water then allow to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Asian-style spicy and tangy beef and rice saladPrint Pin
- 1/2 cup cooked long-grain rice raked with a fork to fluff it up
- 1 cup diced braised beef brisket
- 2 plump juicy and fleshy tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 12 onion leaves
- 2 finger chilies
- a bunch of cilantro
- 1 to 2 sweet mangoes
- juice of one lemon or lime
- 1 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add the cold diced beef brisket in a single layer. Warm the meat, tossing occasionally.
- Halve the tomatoes. Scoop out and discard the seeds (the watery center of the tomatoes will negatively affect the texture of the rice salad). Dice the flesh.
- Peel and roughly chop the red onion.
- Finely slice the chilies.
- Cut the mango flesh into half-inch cubes.
- Chop the onion leaves and cilantro.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, stir together the lemon or lime juice, fish sauce and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Place the rice in a large mixing bowl. Add the warmed beef, vegetables and mangoes. Pour in the dressing. Toss lightly.
- Spoon the Asian-style spicy and tangy beef and rice salad into shallow bowls. Serve with slices of lemon or lime.