Last weekend, we were at a friend’s house to celebrate her birthday. Another guest, also a friend, brought fresh arugula and lettuce harvested from their weekend farm. There was so much food and, by the time the party broke up, our gracious hostess had prepared bags for us to take home. The excess arugula and lettuce, however, went to me because I’m the only one with a vegetarian in the family. As it turned out, vegetarian Sam left for a friend’s house before I could make a salad with the veggies. It was us omnivores who enjoyed this arugula and salted egg salad with ginger vinaigrette today with grilled lamb chops.
What’s with the ginger vinaigrette? To the basic vinaigrette, I added grated ginger, onion flakes, oregano and brown sugar. I let it sit to allow the flavors to bloom while Alex was grilling the lamb chops. By the time the chops were done, the vinaigrette was ready to be drizzled over the salad.
Fantastic salad and dressing. Truly.
Arugula and Salted Egg Salad With Ginger Vinaigrette
- large handful arugula
- 2 to 3 plump and juicy tomatoes
- 2 salted duck eggs
- a few sprigs of cilantro
For the ginger vinaigrette:
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes (available in the spice section of the grocery)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (or more if you like a sweeter ginger vinaigrette)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse the arugula and dry in the salad spinner.
- Halve the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds. Cut the tomato halves into four to six slices.
- Peel the salted duck eggs, cut into halves then thinly slice.
- Tear the cilantro into smaller pieces.
- Make the ginger vinaigrette by mixing together all the ingredients.
- Assemble the salad. Toss together the arugula and sliced tomatoes. Divide among three bowls.
- Top the salad with slices of salted duck egg.
- Drizzle a tablespoonful or two of the ginger vinaigrette over the salad.
- Sprinkle in the cilantro.
- Serve at once.