Hope you dads had a nice time yesterday. We’re really not big on celebrating things like Father’s Day and Mother’s Day but yesterday was an exception. Yesterday was also Speedy’s birthday so we were celebrating all throughout the weekend. Nothing grand. Just the four of us together with lots of good food.
It started with this angel hair pasta with pesto and crumbled sausages on Friday evening. On Saturday, we had meat lasagna and lemon icebox pie. Then, on Sunday evening, we went out for dim sum and Chinese noodles, our comfort food, which I’ll tell you about in a while.
Right now, the recipe for this super easy and super tasty pasta dish.
Angel Hair Pasta With Pesto and Crumbled Spicy Sausages
- 180 grams pasta (I used angel hair but you can use any pasta shape that you like; note that the cooking time might be longer if larger pasta is used)
- 200 grams spicy sausages (Vigan longganisa is a great choice), skins discarded and meat crumbled
- 1/4 c onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons pesto (use store bought or click here for my homemade Pinoy pesto)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water.
- While the pasta cooks, prepare the sauce.
- Heat a pan and add the crumbled sausage meat. Let the sausage meat render fat then brown the meat in its own fat. Scoop out the browned sausage meat.
- If you feel there is too much fat in the pan, pour off what you don’t want to eat. Just remember that the fat is really very tasty.
- Set the heat to medium and add the pesto to the pan. Spread it out over the bottom to heat evenly, scraping whatever browned bits are stuck on the bottom of the pan.
- Drain the pasta and throw into the pan with the pesto. Add the browned sausage meat. Toss to coat the noodles with oil and to distribute the sausage meat evenly. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with buttered toast, crusty untoasted bread or whatever you feel goes well with pasta. If you’re wondering about the mini burgers in the top photo, I’ll tell you about that in a while too.