Four anchovy fillets to cook one large or two medium omelets good for four people. Add cheese to the anchovies omelet for the best breakfast ever!
There are hundreds of ways of cooking eggs. Try this one. It’s good for breakfast, lunch or supper.
Anchovies are very salty. And very tasty. They are also quite expensive. In the Philippines, they are commonly used as a pizza topping and in pasta dishes.
When cooking with anchovies, remember that its salt will be absorbed by the other ingredients it is mixed with. So, go easy on the salt.
If you’re using the spicy variety, go easy on the pepper too.
It would be wiser to serve your anchovies omelet with the salt and pepper shakers on the dinner table. You can always add more.
You can make one large or two medium omelets with the given ingredients.
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 200-gram can sweet peeled pimientoes
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices cheese any variety that melts well
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Roughly chop anchovy fillets.
- Finely chop pimientoes, tomatoes and onions.
- Beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick skillet.
- Cook the garlic until golden brown.
- Add the onions and, over low heat, cook until translucent.
- Add pimientoes and tomatoes to the onions and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the vegetables to a plate, stir in the anchovies and set aside.
- Reheat the skillet. Pour in the remaining olive oil and heat.
- Pour in the beaten eggs, tilting the skillet around to spread the eggs. When almost set (center should still be moist), spread the cooked vegetables with the anchovies on one side.
- Top with cheese slices and fold. Cover and cook for 30 seconds. Flip the omelet and cook the other side for another 30 seconds.
- Serve at once.
Updated on August 16, 2018.