If there weren’t any breadcrumbs in this recipe, I wouldn’t be able to call it chicken schnitzel. But, there is. The oh, so crispy coating of Alex’s cornflake-crusted chicken schnitzel is a combination of equal amounts of panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) and crushed cornflakes, and dried herbs.
But crispy coating doesn’t mean much if the meat inside it is badly seasoned. I know a lot of cooks who prefer to put the seasoning only in the breading but that’s not our style at home. We layer the seasoning — first in the meat and then in the breading. It’s the same technique we employ whether making a soup, a stew or a stir fry. The seasonings are never added ONLY at the end of the cooking because that’s too late for meat (and even vegetables) to absorb any substantial flavor.
Alex's Cornflake-crusted Chicken SchnitzelPrint Pin
- 3 skinless chicken breast fillets
- juice or a quarter of a lemon
- chili powder
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup crushed unsweetened cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- cooking oil for frying
- Wipe the chicken breast fillets dry. Place them on a sheet of cling wrap about three inchies apart then cover with another piece of cling wrap.
- Using a kitchen mallet, pound until the thickness is uniform. Don't make them too thick so that you don't end up with well-browned breading and chicken that's still raw at the center. Half-inch to three-quarter-inch should be fine.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the fillets. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili powder. How much, or how less, is up to you.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl and beat lightly.
- In another shallow bowl, stir together the panko, crushed cornflakes, thyme, basil and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken fillet in flour, dip in the beaten egg then coat with the panko-cornflakes mixture.
- Heat enough cooking oil in a frying pan to reach a depth of two inches. Fry the chicken fillets just until the coating is golden brown and the meat is cooked through.
- Serve the cornflake-crusted chicken schnitzel with yogurt-mayo sauce. Recipe below.